Tuesday, 31 January 2012
Why the Hate?
Lets face it, blackberrys have been taking a lot of criticism lately. Just bring up the topic "Team iPhone vs Team Blackberry" in almost any public location and you're sure to start a debate. Some people are actually against both of these phones and are "Team Android" for example. With that being said, I believe that from what I hear and see, Blackberrys receive the most negative feedback of almost all the smartphones currently on the market. The problem is, that most of the people I see complaining about there Blackberrys either have very old models, or simply don't take care of there phone. Of course old or damaged phones will seem inferior to newer models. Blackberry's may not have the speed of Android phones or the games that iPhones posses, but they have BBM and several other features exclusive to them. They aren't necessarily the best selling phones out there, but why the hate?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I have heard countless stories from friends that have lost all of their contacts, messages etc on their black berries, sometimes it has been while upgrading to new software and other times it has been just random. And yes blackberry has BBM but now iPhone (and all iOS devices) have iMessage, which allows you to send a message from an iPhone to an iPad or iPod touch. Personally i love my iPhone because it syncs with my Mac just flawlessly.
ReplyDeleteI personally made the switch from iPhone to Blackberry after having the 3Gs. I love my blackberry and i am glad that i made the switch. For me having easy access to all of my friends via bbm is wonderful. of course "team iPhone" would say can't you just text? and essentially yes i can, but for me who loves twitter having bbm status is like a personal timeline between everyone I know.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteSHADOW said...
DeleteI personally would rather have an iPhone. I have the Blackberry. I have kept it in good condition over the last year. Although blackberry is the only phone that carries the option BBM (black berry messenger) allowing you to see when your message is received and delivered. BBM is not a reliable way of communication. The server tends to be down a lot causing no communication through that form. I think iPhones are in general better phones most people probably would agree. The only feature I like about blackberry’s more than an iPhones is texting is a lot more efficient and easier in my opinion.
I personally would rather have an iPhone. I have the Blackberry. I have kept it in good condition over the last year. Although blackberry is the only phone that carries the option BBM (black berry messenger) allowing you to see when your message is received and delivered. BBM is not a reliable way of communication. The server tends to be down a lot causing no communication through that form. I think iPhones are in general better phones most people probably would agree. The only feature I like about blackberry’s more than an iPhones is texting is a lot more efficient and easier in my opinion.
DeleteI would have to be with Team iPhone on this one. I have had many Blackberries in the past, and something always went wrong with each one; and they weren’t old, beat up phones like you have mentioned either. Always freezing, randomly turning off, the BBM server would crash often, I lost my contacts many times etc. Also the layout of the Blackberry just looks old fashioned to me. Unless you are a business person and it is crucial for your work, I do not see a point to them. They have nothing to offer other than BBM, which is basically the same as texting or the same as the many applications the iPhone has instead of it; which can be used between Androids, Blackberries and iPhones. Also, when I had a Blackberry I was paying for social networking in order to get BBM, Facebook and e-mails, but couldn’t browse the web. With my iPhone, I pay the same price, but get web browsing for it too, and all the cool features that come along with the iPhone. I think the RIM stock price greatly reflects the quality of their phones, as I have gone back to Blackberry many times (as many times as they came out with a new phone), and have always left disappointed.
ReplyDeletePersonally I think blackberry is still good for certain things. Ya they are out of data with their software and they have their occasional problems with BBM but think about it every phone encounters problems. For instance the battery in the iPhone is bad because you are running so many apps at once. Your battery life does not last very long. I also find that the iPhone is a very delicate phone. Once you drop an iPhone they shatter. I know people that have gone through at least to iPhones because they keep breaking. IPhones did a great job at pushing Blackberry out of the market. BlackBerry had the majority of the market but didn’t do anything to keep it like that. One Apple came out with their iPhone the BlackBerry sales dropped. BlackBerry was basically caught off guard and I blame them for not fighting back and letting iPhone take all their customers. Blackberry doesn’t come out with new models every 4 months like apple does. They bring out a new model every 6 months or so. The problem is that all the BlackBerrys have the same feature. There is no real difference on hoe they operate or what they can do. Blackberry phones will just have a different appearance to the phone weather they make it touchscreen, make it a slider phone, or make it slimmer. The iPhone comes out with a new model and has all different features to it. The models may have one thing done different to them but that makes people want to upgrade their phone. Apple has done a fantastic job at creating such a hype over there products. The business world is starting to be an iPhone dominated world. Blackberry phone use to be the phone that all business people had. A lot of younger people have IPhones because let’s face it we always want the newer item. Since apple comes out with new models people want it because they want to be there first to say “I have the new iPhone 4S”. It’s only a matter of time until iPhone comes out with an IPhone 5 which you already hear buzz about. The Android phones run pretty slow and lag a lot and tend to freeze up. It’s a great concept but the more stuff you shove onto a phone the slower it will go and the more problems you will have. All of the phones have their ups and downs to them weather it’s a BlackBerry, iPhone, or Android. Just remember that technology is great until it crashes.
ReplyDeleteI totally agree about the smartphones, but a blackberry has a more professional look to it in my opinion, which makes it great to use in a business setting such as banks or offices.
ReplyDeleteI definitely agree that there’s a lot of contradictor’s out there. People who own a blackberry and say they hate it. Bottom line is if you’re not happy with your phone, change it. BlackBerrys have a lot hate towards them that I feel they don’t deserve. BlackBerrys at one point were very popular maybe even the biggest seller at one point. It’s when apple came out with the iPhone that’s really when blackberry took its hit and started to fall. People shouldn’t forget blackberry does offer some unique features that no other phones offer. Technology has come out with more creative ideas. So now blackberry needs to catch up to apple and the androids and they can get back up to where they once were in there market. Also they need to become more reliable as a company. BBM is down almost every other week now. Blackberry has its chance for a comeback. You’ll see!
ReplyDeleteI personally never used smartphones too much but in terms of blackberry, can someone elaborate on the BBM feature? Is it really worth switching phones for? How much different is it from texting? I am quite happy with my android phone and I do text a lot more than calling people so I'm trying to entertain the thought of switching.
ReplyDeleteBBM is essentially texting but you can see when a message is sent, delivered and read. iPhones have a similar feature now too called iMessage, but whats great is its not 2 separate applications. if I'm texting my friend who also has an iPhone, the messages app will automatically determine if I can send an iMessage instead of a text, and then I can see if its been sent, delivered or read. A downside to BBM is that its only blackberry to blackberry (unless I'm mistaken and you can use it on a playbook) whereas iMessage you can message someone with an iPod touch, iPad or Mac. And you can even receive and reply to a conversation on any of those devices if you have them and it keeps it all in sync (i can reply to an iMessage with my Mac or my iPhone, and it will keep everything in sync so i can see the entire conversation even if started from my other device)
ReplyDeleteIs it substantially different from a text? Not really. Is it handy to see if my dad actually got my message, you bet.
Check out my blog about different kinds of instant messaging at durantj.blogspot.com
I need to contradict myself from my last comment. I just got a new phone and got rid of my blackberry and stepped my game up to the iPhone. Man I can’t believe I’ve been missing out for so long. I think I was in a little denial just because I only had the blackberry and never experienced what it’s like to have the iPhone. I love it to me it’s the best phone out, and yes BBM was great to a certain point. At the end of the day if someone sees your message and wants to respond they will. BBM just allows you to see when they receive your message. The iPhone is just epic. You can do everything in an iPhone except BBM and more. There are games, they put in a GPS. Which is so convenient and if you wanted to buy a GPS by itself you could pay almost as much as it is to get an iPhone, depending on the contract of the phone. There’s a voice command system, that allows you to become extra lazy it’s great. In my opinion the best phone out is the iPhone.
ReplyDeletehey
ReplyDeletei think that android smartphones have more free applications than blackberry or iphones, which make them most useful in today's world. Talking about the business world, blackberry has more advantage over other phones as these phones have BBM and other business applications which helps the business people.
When comparing the blackberry and the iphone, i think that it is more than fair to say that the iphone/andriod has a lot more features and better processing power for videos and online searching. But when it comes to a smoothly runned operation system, and the ease of communication. I feel this is the main reason that Blackberry has remained competitive. Whats your opinion on further advances for blackberrys technologyÉ
ReplyDelete